Company History

ILSCO-Stove-smILSCO was established in 1894 as the Incandescent Light and Stove Company by tinsmith and inventor Joseph Stubbers. In its first 15 years, Stubber’s company sold 85,000 gas systems in the U.S. and abroad.

Municipal lighting systems rendered gas systems obsolete after 1910, but ILSCO’s power distribution capabilities evolved with the industry. Around 1913, ILSCO introduced a single-cylinder gas engine that powered a generator to supply electric current to outlets throughout a house.

During World War I, as electrical systems continued to replace gas systems, ILSCO produced battery connectors for such customers as Cooper Batteries and Ford Motor Company. Also around this time, ILSCO developed equipment to draw copper tubing, allowing the company to rapidly deliver finished products.

In 1935, ILSCO introduced the SLU line, one of the first solderless terminals and now recognized as the forerunner of many modern connectors. Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, ILSCO developed innovative connector designs for manufacturers, contractors and utility companies.

ILSCO became a manufacturing branch of the new Bardes Corporation in 1954 when controlling interest was sold to Oliver Bardes of E.H. Bardes Range & Foundry Company. In January 1962, ILSCO began constructing a second manufacturing and sales operation in Ontario, Canada.

Bardes-Range-Ad-from-Steinkamps-smGrowth and expansion continued as ILSCO looked outside of its core market of OEMs to target electrical contractors and utilities as end users of their continually expanding product line. Aluminum was introduced in 1959, and throughout the 1960s ILSCO pioneered the development of aluminum mechanical connectors, enhancing their success in all markets.

ILSCO experienced unmatched sales growth through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, while a stream of new product introductions continued. ILSCO further diversified its product line with several important acquisitions including Kupler, Glenmoor Screw Machine Products, and FTZ Industries.

ILSCO is a privately held, third-generation, family-owned, U.S. manufacturer of electrical connectors that celebrated 120 years of service in 2014. Recent acquisitions of ILSCO Extrusions Inc. and Surge Suppression Incorporated, as well as continued product innovation, help to ensure our success.

More than a connector company, ILSCO is a connections company. Connections Matter.